I recently had a lovely trip to Charlottesville, Virginia, for a conference at UVA. I found a hidden historical gem that was the perfect break in between conference sessions. When I think of Edgar Allen Poe, I usually think of ravens, hearts, and Baltimore. And who can forget the very first Simpsons Halloween special, with Bart as an adorable raven terrorizing Homer as he mourns for his lost love Lenore/Marge?
Now when I think of Poe, I can add UVA to the list. Although he only spent one semester there, UVA has preserved his dorm room and created a little mini exhibit on campus. You can peak at his dorm room (with some modern additions like a poster of a raven) through glass and listen to a brief biographical recording. Poe was a brilliant student who had a genius for languages, but his family wasn't able to pay for his education. He turned to gambling to raise the money and ultimately had to leave without a degree.
This is a great mini exhibit to visit as you explore the rest of UVA and downtown Charlottesville. And if you're looking for a book to take on your trip, the new Poe biography entitled A Mystery of Mysteries is a fun read!
No comments:
Post a Comment